Sunday, June 23, 2013

Welcome to Exeter

After a Saturday filled with planes, trains, and subways, the math conference at Exeter began in earnest today, and so far it has certainly lived up  to its billing.  The people running the conference are amazing (in terms of both friendliness and organization), the food is wonderful (in terms of taste, abundance and diversity), and the introductory sessions to the week-long courses are what I expected, namely, some homework and some discussion.  The discussion should be better tomorrow...it lagged a bit today, and I now understand how the kids felt on the first day of honors pre-calc last school year.

This is also my first trip in New England, and thus far it's great.  The people in Boston and here in Exeter and very warm and helpful, and the weather, while really hot and humid during the day, has been very pleasant in the evenings.  There is also an acute sense of history about almost everything you see, especially the buildings, which something you don't get to experience as much in Ohio, since most of the history at home involves the geography rather than the architecture.

My hope is to give a short update each day this week, though my math homework may make that difficult (it's been a long time since I've used "I have homework" as an honest excuse for anything), so we'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment